The Weeg Professorship Fund
Please consider making a financial contribution to the Department's Gerard P. Weeg Professorship in Computer Science. Our aim in establishing the professorship is two-fold: 1) to honor Professor Weeg's contributions to the discipline of computer science and academic computing, as well as his long affiliation with The University of Iowa; and 2) to provide valuable financial resources for the CS Department.
The Weeg Professorship will:
- provide resources necessary to recognize superb faculty, giving us the ability to supplement baseline state-funded salaries. Beyond salary, the prestigious title that accompanies the Weeg Professorship will acknowledge and publicly encourage the recognition of the holder's distinguished level of accomplishment;
- retain exceptional faculty and recruit quality students;
- support in the research and outreach efforts of faculty and students; and
- help leverage external funding. When foundations, corporations, or government agencies see research and teaching being directed by an endowed professor, these potential funders understand the project is likely to yield significant results.
We plan to build upon Professor Weeg's legacy by working aggressively on:
- developing broad new undergraduate programs that will prepare students for increasingly diverse careers in which computing plays an integral role;
- continuing to enhance our Masters program by providing advanced training that benefits our students to be future employees of regional high-tech businesses;
- ensuring that our PhD students' research is increasingly interdisciplinary, working collaboratively with faculty and students in the Colleges of Business, Engineering, Medicine, Nursing, and Public Health.
Please contribute to the fund.